http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/cover_story/2016/04/the_fight_for_the_future_of_npr_can_public_radio_survive_the_podcast_revolution.html

"A slow-moving bureaucracy. An antiquated business model. A horde of
upstart competitors. Can National Public Radio survive?"

An interesting look at the antiquated US public radio in the midst of
overall declines in terrestrial radio. I don't know if I agree that
podcasts are a reason for the declining NPR audiences. (Despite living on
the internet since 1993, I just don't care for podcasts, past or present.)
In my opinion, the program content and presentation is stupefying dull.
Your mileage may vary. :)