Thanks, Stuart and Richard. My reply is inline below.

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 4:41 AM, Richard Jones <rich...@cottagelabs.com> wrote:
>>> p.s. I'm growing concerned that this mailing list is so quiet (and
>>> only admins can see the number of people subscribed). Have people
>>> moved on from SWORD to some other standard? If so, which one?
>>
>> I just checked - there are 175 subscribers to this list.

Thanks, Stuart. I'm glad to hear this number is as large as it is.
Many mailing lists allow this number to be discoverable by the
subscribers and if it's easy to do so, I would encourage making this
change so subscribers don't have to ask.

>> As far as I know, SWORD is the main contender in town when it comes to a
>> standardized deposit interface to this type of repository.  I've also
>> wondered about the quietness of this list.  I think there may be a few
>> reasons: one, is that a lot of repository users are still grappling with
>> their repositories, without yet getting as far as accepting remote deposits.
>>  Second, SWORD doesn't yet really have an active community sharing deposit
>> tools.  Partly this is because many uses of SWORD will be very specific
>> point-to-point integrations, which might not be of interest to too many
>> others.
>>
>> It would be good to hear a wider discussion about this, and how we share
>> more about our individual uses of SWORD.
>
> I think one of the main issues is exactly where to ask about what.
> Because SWORD is a standard, but the technical questions are really
> about implementations, where is the best place to post about problems?
>  For example, if the problems are specifically with the DSpace
> implementation of SWORD, it is /probably/ better to ask on dspace-dev.

I'm sure as implementers begin their work many will have questions
about the SWORD specification itself (I know I do), so I'm absolutely
supportive of and thankful for this mailing list.

> Also, because we're in the early stages of community development with
> SWORD, Stuart and I are a bit of a bottleneck on this list - usually
> one of us is required to respond, and if we're unavailable for any
> length of time (e.g. I've been travelling for nearly 2 weeks now, and
> am emailing from the fourth row of a session at OAI8 right now :) ),
> then the list looks dead.
>
> We are hoping to have some discussions around sword sustainability
> with Jisc quite soon which community development and support like this
> is going to be a key part of.
>
> Very interested in people's thoughts as to how to make things better.

I've mentioned this in passing but I'll repeat my offer to log an IRC
channel on Freenode to discuss SWORD. I'm discussing implementation
details that would not be of general interest at
http://irclog.iq.harvard.edu/dvn/2013-07-30 for example, but a channel
dedicated to the SWORD spec itself would be fantastic. I find chat to
be a great way to get a quick pulse on an issue. I fear the walls of
text I've been sending to this mailing list are simply too much at
once. :)

Anyway, I've very interested in community development in general and
happy to help in any way I can. (I don't mean to beat a dead horse
about IRC.) I'm learning a lot about SWORD and AtomPub and working on
our implementation is actually a lot of fun. :)

Phil

p.s. In other news, we (royal we, Peter Bull, actually) are starting
to use Richard's https://github.com/swordapp/python-client-sword2 to
cook up a test client
https://github.com/dvn/swordpoc/tree/master/dvn_client . We're very
thankful for all the libraries that have been published!

--
Philip Durbin
Software Developer for http://thedata.org