Hi all,

>>Thanks, Stuart. I'm glad to hear this number is as large as it is.
>>Many mailing lists allow this number to be discoverable by the
>>subscribers and if it's easy to do so, I would encourage making this
>>change so subscribers don't have to ask.
>

>I don't think that I have admin access on this list, so may have to
>wait for Stuart.
>

>Stuart - can I have (or do I already have) admin access to the list?
>If not, could you elevate my account?

We use the standard SourceForge mailman interface:

I'm not sure if it is possible to surface this information, but if anyone
knows how - let me know!

Thanks,

Stuart Lewis
Head of Research and Learning Services
Deputy Director Library & University Collections, Information Services
University of Edinburgh
stuart.le...@ed.ac.uk

On 01/08/2013 19:47, "Richard Jones" <rich...@cottagelabs.com> wrote:

Hi Phil,

Having one of my period re-sync's with the mailing list :)

>>> I just checked - there are 175 subscribers to this list.
>
> Thanks, Stuart. I'm glad to hear this number is as large as it is.
> Many mailing lists allow this number to be discoverable by the
> subscribers and if it's easy to do so, I would encourage making this
> change so subscribers don't have to ask.

I don't think that I have admin access on this list, so may have to
wait for Stuart.

Stuart - can I have (or do I already have) admin access to the list?
If not, could you elevate my account?

>>> As far as I know, SWORD is the main contender in town when it comes to
>>>a standardized deposit interface to this type of repository.  I've also
>>>wondered about the quietness of this list.  I think there may be a few
>>>reasons: one, is that a lot of repository users are still grappling
>>>with their repositories, without yet getting as far as accepting remote
>>>deposits.  Second, SWORD doesn't yet really have an active community
>>>sharing deposit tools.  Partly this is because many uses of SWORD will
>>>be very specific point-to-point integrations, which might not be of
>>>interest to too many others.
>>>
>>> It would be good to hear a wider discussion about this, and how we
>>>share more about our individual uses of SWORD.
>>
>> I think one of the main issues is exactly where to ask about what.
>> Because SWORD is a standard, but the technical questions are really
>> about implementations, where is the best place to post about problems?
>>  For example, if the problems are specifically with the DSpace
>> implementation of SWORD, it is /probably/ better to ask on dspace-dev.
>
> I'm sure as implementers begin their work many will have questions
> about the SWORD specification itself (I know I do), so I'm absolutely
> supportive of and thankful for this mailing list.

Glad that it is useful!  I'm hoping as well that we'll be able to do
another iteration on the spec to iron out issues that people are
having with things like multipart, and I hope that this list can be
active in the discussions around that iteration.

>> Also, because we're in the early stages of community development with
>> SWORD, Stuart and I are a bit of a bottleneck on this list - usually
>> one of us is required to respond, and if we're unavailable for any
>> length of time (e.g. I've been travelling for nearly 2 weeks now, and
>> am emailing from the fourth row of a session at OAI8 right now :) ),
>> then the list looks dead.
>>
>> We are hoping to have some discussions around sword sustainability
>> with Jisc quite soon which community development and support like this
>> is going to be a key part of.
>>
>> Very interested in people's thoughts as to how to make things better.
>
> I've mentioned this in passing but I'll repeat my offer to log an IRC
> channel on Freenode to discuss SWORD. I'm discussing implementation
> details that would not be of general interest at
> http://irclog.iq.harvard.edu/dvn/2013-07-30 for example, but a channel
> dedicated to the SWORD spec itself would be fantastic. I find chat to
> be a great way to get a quick pulse on an issue. I fear the walls of
> text I've been sending to this mailing list are simply too much at
> once. :)

I'd be very glad to include an IRC channel that people can use on the
website, or in the READMEs, but I have to confess to not being very
good at using chat channels, so I'd most likely not hang around there
all the time!

> Anyway, I've very interested in community development in general and
> happy to help in any way I can. (I don't mean to beat a dead horse
> about IRC.) I'm learning a lot about SWORD and AtomPub and working on
> our implementation is actually a lot of fun. :)

Ok, well I'll definitely keep the list up-to-date with developments at
this end.

> p.s. In other news, we (royal we, Peter Bull, actually) are starting
> to use Richard's https://github.com/swordapp/python-client-sword2 to
> cook up a test client
> https://github.com/dvn/swordpoc/tree/master/dvn_client . We're very
> thankful for all the libraries that have been published!

:D

Cheers,

Richard

--

Richard Jones,

Founder, Cottage Labs
t: @richard_d_jones, @cottagelabs
w: http://cottagelabs.com>

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.