Hi SWORD folks,

I tried a couple times to post the message below to
http://support.rstudio.org/help/discussions/suggestions in late June
but it never seemed to appear.

Rather than losing the time I spent typing it up, I thought I'd just
post it here instead so I can link to it. I hope you find it
interesting.

Phil

p.s. The message I was trying to post:

Is there any interest in having RStudio support SWORD (Simple
Web-service Offering Repository Deposit)?

(You can read more about SWORD at http://swordapp.org and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SWORD_%28protocol%29 )

Christopher Gandrud and I have been discussing this on Twitter, but I
thought I'd try to summarize.

RStudio already has integrated support for Git, which is fantastic and
has been highlighted in Christopher's recent paper: GitHub: A Tool for
Social Data Set Development and Verification in the Cloud:

But what about permament archival of the data you're working with in RStudio?

This line from
http://blog.ouseful.info/2012/07/15/an-r-chitecture-for-reproducible-researchreportingdata-journalism/
struck me:

> A recent addition, RStudio now integrates with RPubs.com, which means 1-click
> publishing of RMarkdown/knitr'd HTML to a hosted website is possible.
> Presumably, it wouldn't be too hard to extend RStudio so that publication to
> other online environments could be supported. (Hmm, thinks... could RStudio
> support publication using Github pages maybe, or something more general, such
> as SWORD/Atom Publishing?!) Other publication routes have also been
> demonstrated – for example, here's a recipe for publishing to WordPress from
> R).

What if publishing to an archive was only a few clicks away?

I'll just include the last few tweets which end with this one
https://twitter.com/ChrisGandrud/status/347133428208132096

- @philipdurbin Sword is nice. Probably big startup costs for many
researchers. Git daily version control + sword deposit?

- @ChrisGandrud yeah, I too was thinking combining both. What start up
costs with SWORD though? Is it hard? What if Rstudio supported it?

- @philipdurbin If @rstudioapp supported it (e.g. you could send an
RStudio Project to a @swordapp repo) the startup costs would be low.

Full disclosure: I'm working on implementing SWORD v2 on the server
side for an open source application (Dataverse Network) in
https://redmine.hmdc.harvard.edu/issues/3108 so I'm interested in a
growing list of client side implementations:
http://swordapp.org/sword-v2/sword-v2-implementations/

--
Philip Durbin
Software Developer for http://thedata.org