On 18/02/11 12:52, David Tarrant wrote:

> On 18 Feb 2011, at 12:49, Ian Stuart wrote:
>
>> SWORD is a transport mechanism... we all understand that - but sword can
>> either be a bling truck
>> (http://farm1.static.flickr.com/120/307424194_ccb7df1246.jpg) or a
>> container
>> (http://www.shipping-container-modification.com/images/standard_large.jpg)
>
> and both are really expensive!!!
The Shipping container is an un-patented design.... open access, if you
like ;-)

> I think that, if you want to upload a package, don't expect to be able
> to edit parts of the package.
>
> I feel if you want to edit using packages, then you delete the previous
> version and upload a whole new package.
> Supporting more features than that is going to be very hard in the
> packaging scenario.
The question still comes down to.... at some point, the client and the
server need to exchange "metadata" and "files" - how is this negotiated
and how is the data transferred?

Even in your video, you are transferring a small set of metadata items
from client to server. In your example, you control both ends of the
link, so you know the fields to transfer. What happens when the objects
get more complex, and you don't control both ends?

Copying binary files is (relatively) easy.... copying sets of metadata
from one system to another requires "packaging"

"Packaging" is the area I'm interested in.

--

Ian Stuart.
Developer: Open Access Repository Junction and OpenDepot.org

http://edina.ac.uk/

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.