I'm starting a detailed review of the SWORD specs
(http://swordapp.org/sword-v2/sword-v2-specifications/), for the first time
since our meeting last year, and have decided to start with the draft
internet-drafts, since I'm expecting that these+AtomPub will form the
foundation
of SWORD.  I'm hoping to complete this over the coming week, but can't promise
on timescales.

So, reviewing:
   http://swordapp.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/PackagedContentDelivery.txt

== Front page ==

I think it would be better to target "Informational" status rather than
"Experimental" as the first step.  I think the overall message here should be
"this is what we are doing" rather that "this is what we might do".

Is SWORD a legal entity capable of holding copyright? Suggest yourself or UKOLN.

== Abstract ==

You start with "Often in information systems...", which seems a bit vague to
me.
  A reason for submititng this to IETF would be that the technical pieces are
more widely applicable, e.g. in the context of "document management systems",
which I think will better help people to understand the intended scope of the
feature.

Also, mentions media features, which you no longer define.

Suggest something along the lines of:
[[
    Document management systems often present a requirement to move content
    between applications and servers in groups of files and associated
    metadata.  HTTP and AtomPub protocols provide a good match for this
    requirement, but do not make certain information easily available to the
    systems exchanging data.  This document describes HTTP Headers to convey
    information about packaging and authority information relating to a
    transfer.
]]

== 1. Introduction ==

"Media features" mentioned again

I think some background to this work, and brief discussion of motivation would
help, explaining that it has been developed as part of the SWORD protocol for
depositing academic outputs (including but not restricted to papers...) into
institional and subject repositories, etc...  Then go on to indicate the
additional requirements this evokes that go beyond simple HTTP and AtomPub
usage.

I also think (somewhere in the document) a brief example of these proposed
headers used in an exchange would make it much easier to follow.

It may be worth briefly discussing alternatives considered and why they were
not
chosen (e.g. media features) - the IETF community are likely to push back if it
is perceived that existing features have not been considered.

Your HTTP reference (RFC2068) is very dated - RFC2616
(http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2616) is more current (yet still over 10 years
old!)

I think something should be said about what the packaging expression actually
means, for easch of the alternative syntaxes allowed.  How is a token or quoted
string to be interpreted?  Is there a registry of package values?  If not, I'd
be inclined to go with just a URI here.  Are MIME media-types usable in this
context?  How does this differ from a MIME media type?  If there are a small
number of non-URI values in use, then they could be enumerated here to avoid
the
overhead of creating a registry.

== 2. Packaging ==

It is implied that "packaging" applies to resource that is composed of
component
resources.  I think this should be stated explicitly.

You make reference to a "user agent" - I'm not sure this is appropriate.  In
the context, I think "client" would be clearer.

(I still think "Content-features" could be used here, with suitably registered
media features.)

== 3. Accept-packaging ==

The "Prefer" header field might be an option here.

I think many of my comments applied to packaging would also apply here.  A
separate section about the nature of packaging might be in order.

== 4. On-behalf-of ==

Nit:  I think it might be better to use digest auth in the example, to avoid
discussioin of the inadequacies of HTTP basic auth

== 5. In-progress ==
== 6. Suppress-metadata ==

In reading this, it was very unclear to me what element of interoperability is
served by these headers.  Especially w.r.t. "it is necessary that server/client
pairs will have to have a common understanding of its meaning", I am asking
myself if the server and client have a commin understanding, why do they need
this header field?

More generally, I also wonder if these elements might not be treated as
parameters or options of the "packaging" header field, rarther than separate
headers.  That's a small detail, but if they serve any useful purpose it might
be easier to get them approved that way.  I also suggests that package
description parameters might prove a useful extension point for further
developments.

== 7. Security considerations ==

This needs more work!  There's far more at scope here than just using HTTP.

For example, the package may be used as a carrier for malicious content...

Also need to note that the On-Behalf-Of field should not be taken as confirming
authority to act on behalf of the agent thus identified.  Also, if script files
are created with that agents ownership, it might open privilege escalation
opportunities.  And so on.

== 8. IANA considerations ==

Still mentions media feature

The registration templates are incomplete (even if just indications of the
"current" document) - it is possible, in principle, for the registration
template to be presented separately from the containing document.

#g