well said....

On Sat, Jul 25, 2026, 10:04 AM Mark J. Fine via Swprograms <
[email protected]> wrote:

>
>
>
> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
> From: "Mark J. Fine" <[email protected]>
> To: Shortwave programming discussion <[email protected]>
> Cc:
> Bcc:
> Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2026 12:54:30 -0400
> Subject: Re: [Swprograms] BBC Global Minds user survey: programs are
> called "Brands"
> It bothers me. Not totally for the same reasons, but for something you
> touched on.
>
> To me, a 'brand' is a marketing term that is supposed to imply repeated
> product quality and style that customers are loyal to. In the 70s I
> automatically bought the latest Led Zeppelin albums, ignoring any reviews,
> because I knew it was something I was going to enjoy. In today's parlance
> they are (were?) a brand, but we didn't think of it that way. We just saw
> it as entertainment. Today, calling them a 'brand' cheapens and implicitly
> commercializes it to where it's intended to be for the record label's
> benefit, not mine.
>
> People who post on social media also consider their posts to be their
> personal 'brand'. I despise the way commercial terms like this have
> infiltrated everyday society. I'm not here to arbitrarily consume content
> for the benefit of some soulless financial entity. I'm also not somebody's
> customer. I'm just trying to kill time, entertain, and/or educate myself.
> But this is where we are, or as another band in the 70's put it: "Welcome
> to the machine"...
>
> Mark
>
> On 7/25/26, 11:20 AM, "Swprograms on behalf of John Figliozzi" <
> [email protected] <mailto:
> [email protected]> on behalf of [email protected]
> <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
>
>
> Maybe it’s just an old age mentality, but I find this effort to establish
> new terminology for existing products annoying and just unnecessarily
> stylistic. In an age when an organization like the BBC is pressed for
> revenue, it seems a waste of time and resources to engineer a whole new way
> of looking at what are essentially the same things. Maybe they think it
> makes them more attractive to younger eyes and ears (yeah, this is probably
> it), but I really doubt that’s true. Most of the surveys I read indicate
> that trying to attract younger people to traditional media ends up a loser
> and that many of them eventually embrace the stuff that the BBC et al are
> trying to sell as they mature and get older with more experience. I can’t
> help but perceive the chase for advertising dollars as the culprit here
> which only ends up confusing "public service” with the pursuit of a mass
> audience. They are two separate things that require separate sources of
> revenue if their unique missions are to be preserved, but try explaining
> that to the younger executives running these organizations today. Most of
> the people the BBC or NPR are hiring come from the commercial side and fail
> to recognize the subtle but real difference. ABC (Australia) Radio National
> seems to still get it, however.
>
>
> John Figliozzi
>
>
> > On Jul 25, 2026, at 6:32 AM, Rob de Santos <[email protected]
> <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
> >
> > I noticed the same thing. Initially, I thought it was confusing. I
> suppose,
> > using the same logic, book and song titles are now "brands".
> >
> > --Rob de Santos
> >
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: Swprograms <[email protected] <mailto:
> [email protected]>> On Behalf Of Richard
> > Cuff
> > Sent: Friday, July 24, 2026 4:32 PM
> > To: Internet radio discussion <[email protected] <mailto:
> [email protected]>>; Shortwave
> > programming discussion <[email protected] <mailto:
> [email protected]>>
> > Subject: [Swprograms] BBC Global Minds user survey: programs are called
> > "Brands"
> >
> > Interesting terminology -- I just went through a survey in the BBC Global
> > Minds community regarding my awareness of various BBC programs offered on
> > the World Service, Radio 4, and BBC World News.
> >
> > What I would call "programs" they called "brands".
> >
> > Welcome to the 21st century, I guess...
> >
> > Richard Cuff
> > _______________________________________________
> > Swprograms mailing list
> > [email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>
> > http://montreal.kotalampi.com/mailman/listinfo/swprograms <
> http://montreal.kotalampi.com/mailman/listinfo/swprograms>
> >
> > To unsubscribe: Send an E-mail to
> > [email protected] <mailto:
> [email protected]>?subject=unsubscribe, or visit the URL
> > shown above.
> >
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > Swprograms mailing list
> > [email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>
> > http://montreal.kotalampi.com/mailman/listinfo/swprograms <
> http://montreal.kotalampi.com/mailman/listinfo/swprograms>
> >
> > To unsubscribe: Send an E-mail to [email protected]
> <mailto:[email protected]>?subject=unsubscribe, or
> visit the URL shown above.
> >
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Swprograms mailing list
> [email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>
> http://montreal.kotalampi.com/mailman/listinfo/swprograms <
> http://montreal.kotalampi.com/mailman/listinfo/swprograms>
>
>
> To unsubscribe: Send an E-mail to [email protected]
> <mailto:[email protected]>?subject=unsubscribe, or
> visit the URL shown above.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
> From: "Mark J. Fine via Swprograms" <[email protected]>
> To: Shortwave programming discussion <[email protected]>
> Cc: "Mark J. Fine" <[email protected]>
> Bcc:
> Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2026 12:54:30 -0400
> Subject: Re: [Swprograms] BBC Global Minds user survey: programs are
> called "Brands"
> _______________________________________________
> Swprograms mailing list
> [email protected]
> http://montreal.kotalampi.com/mailman/listinfo/swprograms
>
> To unsubscribe:  Send an E-mail to
> [email protected]?subject=unsubscribe, or visit the URL
> shown above.
>
>
_______________________________________________
Swprograms mailing list
[email protected]
http://montreal.kotalampi.com/mailman/listinfo/swprograms

To unsubscribe:  Send an E-mail to  
[email protected]?subject=unsubscribe, or visit the URL shown 
above.

Reply via email to