What's a conception of the (good) life? by Dominik Düber (Münster)

Date: Tuesday 25 October 2016
Time: 13:00 - 14:00
Venue: W6A 107, Macquarie University (Visitor info
here<http://www.mq.edu.au/research/research-centres-groups-and-facilities/resilient-societies/centres/macquarie-university-research-centre-for-agency,-values-and-ethics/contact-us>)

What are the limits of legitimate state action in a liberal state that values
autonomy and ensures basic liberal rights? Can we establish principles for
drawing the line between legitimate and illegitimate state action or that
points out matters that the state should or should not get involved in? These
are fundamental questions in contemporary Political Philosophy and even within
the broadly liberal tradition we can identify two quite different camps by the
way they answer this question. The anti-perfectionist camp defends a principle
of restraint, saying that while the state may be justified in taking an active
role in matters of justice, it has to refrain from any activity that aims at
promoting conceptions of the good life or that is justified by considerations
of the good. Perfectionists, on the other hand, say that no such principle of
restraint should be established, even defending this thesis up to the point
that "it is the goal of all political action to enable individuals to pursue
valid conceptions of the good" (Raz).

Since the great majority of philosophers involved in this
'perfectionism-debate' on both sides do not discuss how the line between
considerations of the good life and other issues, e.g. matters of justice, can
be drawn, they seem to take for granted that the distinction is clear enough to
be applicable in political theory and practice. Motivated by the fundamental
role the term "conceptions of the good (life)" plays in the debate between
perfectionists and anti-perfectionists, I critically discuss this line of
demarcation and scrutinize if it can be spelled out clearly enough to identify
two different camps in political philosophy and play a role as a guiding
principle in political practice.

About Dominik:

Dominik Düber completed his PhD in Philosophy at the University of Münster in
Germany in 2014, entitled "Self-determination and the good life in a democratic
state: the paternalism argument against perfectionism." Since 2011, he has been
a research fellow at the Centre for Advanced Study in Bioethics at the
University of Münster. He is currently working on a postdoctoral project on the
division of labour.

All are welcome, no RSVP required.

Macquarie University Research Centre for Agency, Values and Ethics (CAVE)
Department of Philosophy
Macquarie University
Sydney, NSW 2109, Australia
CAVE website: mq.edu.au/cave<http://cave.mq.edu.au>
www.facebook.com/MQCAVE<http://www.facebook.com/MQCAVE>
---------
SydPhil mailing list

To unsubscribe, change your membership options, find answers to common
problems, or visit our online archives, please go to the list information page: