UNSW PHILOSOPHY SEMINAR

The Phaedo’s Recollection Argument and the Soul's Disposition to Know

Speaker: Matthew D. Walker (Yale-NUS College)

The recollection argument in Plato’s Phaedo is among the most famous of the
various arguments for psychic immortality that Socrates spends his final day
discussing with his friends. The argument (Phd. 72e-76d) moves from the
hypothesis that learning is recollection to the conclusion that our souls
existed before birth, possessing wisdom, and that our souls may be immortal.
Some scholars have proposed that the argument assumes that the soul possesses
either innate knowledge states or innate cognitive contents; other scholars
have proposed that the argument assumes only that the soul once possessed
knowledge prenatally, but subsequently lost it at birth, with the result that
the soul lacks any innate knowledge at all. Against such interpretations, I
sketch an alternative account of the recollection argument, according to which
the argument holds that the soul innately possesses a specific potentiality for
knowledge, and, indeed, for wisdom. If Socrates accepts such dispositional
innatism, then the sort of immortality that the recollection argument supports
may differ radically from what usual readings -- and Socrates' friends --
suppose.

Bio: Matthew D. Walker is an Associate Professor of Humanities (Philosophy) at
Yale-NUS College, Singapore. He works principally in ancient Greek philosophy
and comparative ethics. He is the author of Aristotle on the Uses of
Contemplation(Cambridge University Press, 2018); “Aristotle’s Eudemus and the
Propaedeutic Use of the Dialogue Form” (winner of the 2021 Journal of the
History of Philosophy article prize); and other articles and chapters on
Aristotle, Confucius, Hume, Mengzi, Plato, and Zhu Xi. He is currently at work
on a book on immortality in Plato’s Symposium and Phaedo

[Image]

24th April 2023

[Image]

12:30pm-2pm

[Image]

Kensington Campus, room 209 Morven Brown

[Image]

 Teams link
here<https://teams.microsoft.com/l/meetup-join/19%3ameeting_Nzk5YzE4MTktZmNlZi00NDM5LWFlMTQtMGNlODhmYTc2MWQx%40thread.v2/0?context=%7b%22Tid%22%3a%223ff6cfa4-e715-48db-b8e1-0867b9f9fba3%22%2c%22Oid%22%3a%22fe058e47-4a62-41cb-872a-be04358c242c%22%7d>

---------
SydPhil mailing list

To unsubscribe, change your membership options, find answers to common
problems, or visit our online archives, please go to the list information page: