Hey guys,

Just lighting up everyone's day, would like to get as many as possible
arguments on this. Me and a friend of mine, had a debate last evening, about
open source(PHP) vs closed source technologies(DOT NET).He raised the
following points:

1. He feels that open source is not reliable whereas closed source is. The
logic being that, once the application is developed and sold, if it runs
into some kind of a bug or an error, there is support team for closed source
technologies who are going to come and help you fix it, whereas this is not
a guarantee in open source technologies.

2. Development for a successful open source technology is community
dependent, implying the choice is still on a faithful group of users,
whereas in closed source technologies it is more reliable because it is
being backed by a company (microsoft for .NET and SAP for SAP). f

 3. The third point that was raised is, closed source technologies enforce
quality control as opposed to open source technologies, where the onus on
quality control in case of the latter, is more on the developer himself.

The reasoning I could offer was that big companies such as Yahoo ( symfony),
facebook (php), and Twitter (rails) rely on open source technologies, surely
they are aware of the above points but still choose to go with open source
rather than closed source technologies. Money is not the most important
criteria for these companies, and there definitely is a better reason why
they choose open rather than closed source technologies.

However, it is still not convincing me for I found myself agreeing to the
points my friend raised in favor of closed source technologies. Can anyone
shed a light on this?

Thanks!!!