Thanks for the link Aaron.

What other parts of SymPy could be optimised without working on
deprecated code? I could try to produce a dependence graph to find the
most referenced modules.

I read in that thread that removing the old assumptions could be a
challenging project. What skills does it rely on? Is it more
mathematics or software engineering? I have more experience in the
later doing a Comp. Sc. degree (encapsulation, modularity, OO design
patterns).