On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 8:37 PM, Brian Granger <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I am not sure I understand what your idea is, but it seems that's
>> exactly how I implemented it? TableForm is an object (it's not an
>> issue for me whether or not it is derived from Basic, currently it is
>> from technical reasons, but this can be changed), and then I have
>> enhanced the printers to be able to print TableForm nicely in all our
>> output printers. Because I want to use it with ascii (in terminal), in
>> latex (when I write articles, it would be so much easier to just
>> create the table in sympy, instead of wrestling with latex by hand),
>> html, and so on.
>>
>> Is there a better design for such a thing?
>
> In Mathematica, TableForm is not itself a data structure, but only
> something that takes a data structure and prints it in different

Here is the definition:

http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematica/ref/TableForm.html

So the way I understand is, that it *is* a data structure, that holds
the data, and that can be printed in many formats, but maybe I am
wrong. In any case, I want to be able to do all of their examples.

> forms.  Is this similar to your implementation?


As such, I have implemented TableForm as a Python class, that printers
know how to print. This allows me to replicate Mathematica examples.
If anyone has a better way to do it, patches/ideas welcome. :)

>
>>> But I do think we want this type of functionality in sympy, especially
>>> something like TreeForm (I think that is what it is called) that
>>> displays a nice expression tree.
>>
>> Great, I agree.
>
> OK, Cool.  I do think we want this in sympy as a table is an
> appropriate way of displaying symbolic expressions.  If TableForm were

+1

> focused more on displaying non-symbolic data, then I would say sympy
> is probably not the place for it.  I can imagine numpy implmenting

TableForm is for displaying any kinds of data, mainly including symbolic data.

> something like this, but surely it won't be tied into sympy and handle
> all of our different printing formats.  I am still +1 on this.

Ondrej

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"sympy" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/sympy?hl=en.

Reply via email to