I have very little contribution to the sympy code base (just one slight
improvement/bug-fix as part of my GSoC 2012 application), but I did learn a
lot in the process, and would like to try helping out as a mentor. Possibly
learn more about sympy myself, in the process!
Is this possible/helpful, or would I just be increasing the drag on sympy's
side?

Regards
Vishesh