Hi Kasper,

On Wed, Mar 5, 2014 at 11:27 AM, Kasper Peeters
<[email protected]> wrote:
>> Personally I would like to see more cohesion among tensor-like projects.
>> There are a lot of tensor-like or indexed things in SymPy that all have
>> valuable logic, none of which stem from some common framework.  The original
>> idea behind tensor core was to have some base layer from which all of the
>> systems could benefit and from which pairs of systems could use to interact.
>
>
> It is going to be very difficult, if not impossible, to get a uniform core
> that satisfies all needs. So the best one can do is, as you pointed out in
> another email, to first identify a suitable class of problems that you would
> like to solve, and then build the infrastructure around that.
>
> To add some more input to this discussion: I am the author of Cadabra, an
> open source tensor computer algebra system (http://cadabra.phi-sci.com/). I
> am at present working on a major overhaul of the code, which allows you to
> use all functionality from within Python, and use Sympy to do computations
> with the individual components of tensors. One thing you might consider (but
> I don't want to force this down anyone's throat) is to help me build that
> Cadabra-Sympy interface, instead of doing a full tensor module within Sympy
> from scratch. I'm happy to discuss this in more detail if anyone's
> interested.

Thanks for the email. Would you be willing to license your code under
BSD style license?

Btw, since your code is in C++, maybe you can help us with CSymPy
(https://github.com/certik/csympy),
which is also a pure C++ library, with optional Python wrappers. In
particular, do you have some applications,
where SymPy is too slow? Since you chose to use C++ in Cadabra, I
assume you might have some applications
where using Python would be too slow. What I am trying to say is that
there might be more ways we can collaborate
on any of these things.

Ondrej

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"sympy" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/sympy.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/CADDwiVAuMwscSnxrUtEtWBfj_ueiguHCeRjt0XYq8qocrZjTEQ%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

Reply via email to