> Thanks for the email. Would you be willing to license your code under
> BSD style license?

Let's leave the licensing issues out of the discussion for the time being
if you don't mind. We'll find a way to make this work.

Btw, since your code is in C++, maybe you can help us with CSymPy
> (https://github.com/certik/csympy),
> which is also a pure C++ library, with optional Python wrappers.

I know. Though I was under the impression that there is rather a large
amount of functionality in Sympy which has not yet been ported to CSymPy
(yet?). I would be willing to help with that but my time is limited.

> In particular, do you have some applications,
> where SymPy is too slow?

Not at the moment, since I am only now adding component computations to
cadabra, and I haven't really done anything substantial with that
functionality yet. Again, this is something that I think one should tackle
by just trying to solve explicit problems, rather than thinking about a
general solution.

> Since you chose to use C++ in Cadabra, I assume you might have some
> applications
> where using Python would be too slow.

No, I chose C++ because I like it better as a programming language for
large projects (I like static typing, among other things). That's just
personal preference, I am not saying that you couldn't have written it in
Python. I did at some point have applications for which I needed a lot of
computer power, and at that stage it was probably good that cadabra was in
C++, but that was more luck than wisdom.

My motivation for making the functionality available through Python now is
essentially that I need my system to have some programming capability which
is easier to access than writing C++ code (most of my users have no
knowledge about C++ at all, but would probably get away with a bit of
Python scripting).

Cheers,
Kasper

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/5b324a7f-4deb-47bd-839c-f3fb7cfe957b%40googlegroups.com.