> On Mar 4, 2014, at 9:57 PM, Ondřej Čertík <ondrej.cer...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 6:47 PM, Aaron Meurer <asmeu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> You should use SymPy 0.7.5. There were some issues with
>> init_printing() in recent older versions, but they should have all
>> been straightened out. Don't use 0.7.2. That was released in 2012!
>
> That's right, I didn't realize 0.7.2 is so old... I just upgraded it
> in Hashdist:

Yes, and we can release a lot more often now.

> https://github.com/hashdist/hashstack/pull/135

Since hashdist builds from source couldn't this happen automatically?

> and now it works out of the box. So it was a bug in 0.7.2, that was fixed
> later.

I think older sympy works with older python. Newer Ipython broke it somehow.
But you should always use newest versions.

>> The priority for init_printing() with no arguments should be
>>
>> - MathJax LaTeX in the notebook
>> - LaTeX printing with latex itself in the qtconsole if latex is installed
>> - LaTeX printing with matplotlib in the qtconsole if matplotlib is
>> installed (note that this currently falls back to unicode pretty
>> printing for things matplotlib can't handle, which currently includes
>> matrices and lists, which print like matrices)
>> - Unicode pretty printing anywhere, if Unicode support is detected
>> (this detection only works in tty terminals)
>> - ASCII pretty printing
>
> Very good, I agree with this order.
>

>> See
>> http://docs.sympy.org/latest/tutorial/printing.html#setting-up-pretty-printing
>> for pictures.
>
> Yes, nice.
>

>> You can pass in arguments to init_printing to override any of these
>> (see the docstring).
>
> Yes, that works even in 0.7.2.

There are new arguments in the newer versions to specify exact things, like
matplotlib or png.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/6498F45B-7CAA-4E98-9E28-565F0BDC39F4%40gmail.com.