On 20 January 2016 at 05:46, Denis Akhiyarov <denis.akhiya...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 19, 2016 at 11:41:47 PM UTC-6, Denis Akhiyarov wrote:
>>
>> no algebraic roots according to this theorem:
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abel%E2%80%93Ruffini_theorem

The theorem only shows that a general algebraic solution for *all*
quintics (or higher degree polynomials) is not possible. In this case
it is not a fully general quintic since the coefficients of x^3 and
x^2 are both zero. I'm not sure how to check based on the coefficients
of a polynomial whether or not its Galois group is solvable. Can sympy
do that?

To the OP: do you need to solve this in terms of symbols A, B etc. or
is it acceptable to solve it using particular numbers for the
coefficients? You may have better luck using the actual numbers.

> actually this case looks like has some special properties and hence has some
> roots according to Wolfram:
>
> http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=A*x%5E5%2BB*x%5E4%2BC*x-D%3D0

My interpretation of that Wolfram output is that Wolfram is unable to
solve this quintic (or rather this general family of quintics).

--
Oscar

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/CAHVvXxSwgubqczYcavJ%2BBQVah0aR05dda-0fS4VPubBTajHizw%40mail.gmail.com.