Hi Tilman,

It's great that you're interested in doing this!

I don't know the quantum module very well myself but it probably does
need work. As far as I know no one is really working on it right now.
A good place to start thinking about improving it would probably be
looking over the open issues:
https://github.com/sympy/sympy/issues?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+label%3Aphysics.quantum
Some of those might be easy to fix and that's a good way to get
experience contributing. In any case the issues show the problems
people have had using the module in the past which helps to think
about what is a useful improvement.

As for whether this makes a good University project that's a hard
question to answer. I'm sure it's possible to make a good project out
of this but I have no idea whether it would meet the expectations of
your University (you have to talk to them about that).

One difficulty in particular with the quantum module is that I'm not
sure if there are any active contributors who know it well. That means
that it might be difficult to get guidance with it and it might also
be hard to get your patches reviewed. On the flip side it means that
an active contributor is definitely wanted and there is the
opportunity to really take ownership of it.

Please let us know what happens after you talk to your University
about this. In any case finding a simple bug to fix is probably a good
start.

--
Oscar

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/CAHVvXxQXMnUiRe-tr3YjM3rb6okxQ_q%2BcLL6a_F5eojYqh_yHw%40mail.gmail.com.