On Fri, Sep 27, 2019, at 12:48 PM, Aaron Meurer wrote:
> There's a review paper for ICLR 2020 on training a neural network to
> do symbolic integration. They claim that it outperforms Mathematica by
> a large margin. Machine learning papers can sometimes make overzealous
> claims, so scepticism is in order.
>
> https://openreview.net/pdf?id=S1eZYeHFDS
>
> The don't seem to post any code. The paper is in double blind review,
> so maybe it will be available later. Or maybe it is available now and
> I don't see it. If someone knows, please post a link here.
>
> They do cite the SymPy paper, but it's not clear if they actually use SymPy.

They wrote:

"The validity of a solution itself is not provided by the model, but by an
external symbolic framework (Meurer et al., 2017). "

So that seems to suggest they used SymPy to check the results.

> I think it's an interesting concept. They claim that they generate
> random functions and differentiate them to train the network. But I
> wonder if one could instead take a large pattern matching integration
> table like RUBI and train it on that, and produce something that works
> better than RUBI. The nice thing about indefinite integration is it's
> trivial to check if an answer is correct (just check if
> diff(integral(f)) - f == 0), so heuristic approaches that can
> sometimes give nonsense are tenable, because you can just throw out
> wrong answers.
>
> I'm also curious (and sceptical) on just how well a neural network can
> "learn" symbolic mathematics and specifically an integration
> algorithm. Another interesting thing to do would be to try to train a
> network to integrate rational functions, to see if it can effectively
> recreate the algorithm (for those who don't know, there is a complete
> algorithm which can integrate any rational function). My guess is that
> this sort of thing is still beyond the capabilities of a neural
> network.

I saw this paper too today. My main question is whether their approach is
better than Rubi (say in Mathematica, as it doesn't yet work 100% in SymPy
yet). They show that their approach is much better than Mathematica, but so is
Rubi.

The ML approach seems like a brute force. So is Rubi. So it's fair to compare
ML with Rubi. On the other hand, I feel it's unfair to compare brute force with
an actual algorithm, such as Risch.

Ondrej