On Wed, Jun 8, 2022 at 5:29 PM Oscar Benjamin <oscar.j.benja...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, 8 Jun 2022 at 23:55, Jeremy Monat <jemo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Google searches seem like a "a reasonable metric for what's relevant to
> users." I posted the top 1000 Google search terms for a year's worth of
> searches.
>
> I agree to some extent but here we are talking about the reference API
> rather than guides etc which means we can organise it to educate users
> about the features that SymPy has rather than just try to draw the
> right clicks. I actually think that a lot of the time I know what
> users want more than they do, or in other words they are searching for
> the wrong solution to their problem. We can try to approach this in
> different ways but I'm interested to hear from people who are making
> good use of SymPy whether they feel that something is missing or not
> prominent enough in the docs.

That's a good point. People who already know what they are looking for will
usually use search (either Google or the built-in search in the docs). So
the organization should optimize for people who are "just browsing", so to
speak. We already somewhat do this by emphasizing some important features
at the top-level like code generation.

Although I must say I personally have been making use of the new sidebar to
get what I want because I know where to look and it's much faster than
search and search can be quite unreliable (as an aside, just to give an
idea of how bad search results can be, the other day I saw someone posted a
live video of them coding SymPy on Twitter and they searched for "sympy
avoid piecewise results from integrate" which led them to
http://omz-software.com/pythonista/sympy/modules/integrals/integrals.html,
the third result on the page. This is someone else's hosting of the SymPy
0.7.4.1 documentation, which is a version from 2013!)

A real challenge is that while there are a couple of big things that are
more common, like solving, there is a long tail of SymPy features that are
all used by some people but aren't any one of them used significantly more
than the others. We want to make them visible, but listing them all at the
same level puts us back to the same organization we had before.

Aaron Meurer