Dear Jason,

Thanks a lot!
It seems to be my program, rather than *kinetic energy*.

The sample which did not work was my ‚Wackelstein‘, where there seem to be
many other issues, the geometry is probably too difficult for me.

I tried it on my 2D *rolling disc on an uneven street*, where the geometry
is much simpler. There the total energy is constant also if the center of
mass != geometric center.
It seems to run into numeric difficulties ( a different issue), but outside
those difficulties the total energy is constant.

Better my program is wrong than *kinetic energy*!  :-)

Thanks again!

Peter

On Sat 25. Jun 2022 at 14:26 Jason Moore <moorepa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Peter,
>
> You should be able to provide the inertia (I, P) about a point P other
> than the mass center of the rigid body. So in your code "mass center" does
> not have to equal "P". But, I never really do that so it could be that the
> underlying code doesn't apply the parallel axis theorem correctly. It isn't
> a feature that is likely used much, if at all. If you have an example that
> shows it doesn't work, then providing that on the SymPy issue tracker would
> be helpful so we can find and fix the bug.
>
> Jason
> moorepants.info
> +01 530-601-9791
>

> On Thu, Jun 23, 2022 at 1:44 PM Peter Stahlecker <
> peter.stahlec...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I = me.inertia(A, iXX….) gives the inertia in the (normally) body  -
>> fixed frame A
>> Body = Me.RigidBody( ‚Body‘, mass center, frame, mass, ( I, P))
>>
>> My question: Does RigidBody ‚assume‘, that mass center = P ?
>>
>> Reason behind my question:
>>  For regular homogenious bodies, iXX, IYY, etc are often known relative
>> to the geometric center of the body.
>> If the mass center is not equal to the geometric center of the body,
>> would RigidBody know, that the inertia is relative to the geometric center?
>>
>> In my program, the kinetic energy comes out right, if I set mass center =
>> geometric center, but incorrect if I do not.
>> Therefore, I wonder, whether there is a mistake in my program, or whether
>> RigidBody assumes that P = mass center.
>>
>> Thanks a lot for any help!
>>

>> --

>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/0d3101eb-1fe7-4c24-a125-bab8c8a58145n%40googlegroups.com