Hello Alen, so nice of you to reply.

I have already worked out the solution using sin, cos and tangent.  I also
used sympy to help solve the simultaneous equations and the solution was
succinct.  I used rational trig as it seemed interesting and I had thought
that sympy might help to solve the problem in an even simpler form.  As we
have seen, that's not the case.

I'm now investigating the use of the parametric circle equation
https://mathnow.wordpress.com/2009/11/06/a-rational-parameterization-of-the-unit-circle/.
It seems that this model fits the problem space more closely.

Again, thanks for the feedback and feel free to share anything else that
comes to mind.