On Wednesday, March 13, 2024 at 8:13:27 a.m. UTC+1 Aaron Meurer wrote:

As far as we can tell, SymPy is the only thing that uses MatchPy,
outside of the specific research software from that research group
that it was developed for.

Indeed, MatchPy is probably very underappreciated. Its developers haven't
really advertised it enough.

If making MatchPy more SymPy specific eases
the development burden, we should do that, especially if we are going
to fork it anyway. I think the core of it does need to remain
independent of SymPy's types, especially if we want to try to write a
Rust backend.

I would still make an attempt at keeping it generic. The main issue is
removing all "isinstance( ... )" and "__iter__" statements in the
expression tree traversal algorithms of MatchPy and replace them with more
generalizable statements. I'm confident this can be done and that we can
still keep MatchPy generalizable to other libraries.