On 2-3-2012 3:23, Jorge Aldo G. de F. Junior wrote:
> It WILL be slower.
>
> One thread per connection scales very well on multiple core systems.

1. Afaik the not scaling well is a fairytale from old Linux times,
before NPTL. The old linuxthreads threading API, which was very
inefficient, since it was designed for portability, not performance.
Apache 2 uses threading, and it is the most used webserver in the world.

2. On Windows NT(family, so also XP,Vista/7 etc), for very high open
socket counts, one thread per sockets might suck up too much memory.
(since a fairly large stack and a possible large TLS section is
allocated for each of them). Originally there was a simpler thread
called "Fiber" meant for that purpose, but I don't know what became of
that. I know indy planned it for 10 originally before they got caught up
in several complete rewrites for .NET and unicode.