On Mar 2, 2012 9:58 AM, "Marco van de Voort" <f...@pascalprogramming.org>
wrote:

> 1. Afaik the not scaling well is a fairytale from old Linux times,
> before NPTL. The old linuxthreads threading API, which was very
> inefficient, since it was designed

I'm not worried about Linux,  I know it's better than Windows for a
server.  The original version of my IM server was built with kylix and the
same code on Windows would run for a month and then some odd thing would
happen and it would stop listening,  the kylix version would run forever.
I could never figure out why the win32 version would stop,  never raised
any errors,  so I just recommended People use Linux.

I just think for a simple IM server using select should be fine since most
of the sockets just sit there until someone sends a message or changes
status.