On Wed, 2009-07-01 at 08:51 -0700, Patrick Ohly wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-07-01 at 08:19 -0700, Lukas Zeller wrote:
> > I don't see why you need two engines for that. You can initialize the
> > same engine twice, once at the beginning with basically only the log
> > options, and a second time when your generated config stream is ready.
>
> How do I do that? Calling InitEngineXML() twice? Wouldn't that reset the
> logging that was set up earlier?

There's one additional requirement: I also need to remove the datastores
from the engine without shutting down the engine completely. That's
because I want to continue writing to the log while the datastores clean
up and after that is done.

> > Within the engine, you need:
> >
> > - a new flag to have the session logger redirect its output to the
> > global logger, and also forwarding the <appendtoexisting> flag to the
> > global logger such that it won't overwrite the beginning of the log.
> > Maybe some changes are needed to prevent re-instantiation of the
> > global logger at the second init, I'll have to check that.
>
> Does <appendtoexisting> work for HTML?

... in particular considering that HTML and XML need opening and closing
tags. The instance which starts an empty log could write the preamble,
but who writes the end?

--
Best Regards, Patrick Ohly

on behalf of Intel on this matter.