On Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 00:27:35 +0300, Andrey Butirsky wrote:
> Hi,
> personally, I don't understand too why we have to give up that easily.
>
> There is no real alternative indeed, and having to keep all the contacts
> in clear text on server at BB service, or organize "home services" for
> that is just a ridiculous..

Hi,

from my POV, SyncML also requires a "home service" to sync with.

Yes, setting up CalDAV/CardDAV requires some knowledge. I use DAViCal.
It requires setting up a PostgreSQL database, adjusting the configuration
for DAViCal and setting up user accounts using the DACiCal web frontend.
However, it's not that hard at all, and could be streamlined with some
effort.

At the end, you get features like shared calendars, auto-discovery of
all addressbooks/calendars assigned to the users (via bindings), cheap
background sync over HTTPS without manual interaction and compatibility
with current smartphone operating systems. It's also a lot easier to
keep multiple devices (more than two) in sync.

iOS comes with CalDAV/CardDAV support OOTB.  On Android, third party
apps are required, as Google internally uses some sort of
CalDAV/CardDAV but does not expose it to use it with your own server
AFAICS.

Regards,
Tino