I've used Feed2JS since its first release (near enough), and I've never had
any problems with it whatsoever.
 
Feed2JS does a little more than Magpie (formatting etc).  What Stuart was
saying below is there is no need to modify Feed2JS to format the 'new'
output, rather to create a PHP script or similar that calls Magpie itself,
rather than as he says, have a code snippet that calls Feed2JS that then
calls Magpie.  
 
Since Feed2JS is Java, it runs in your own VM in which ever browser you use,
and it doesn't do anything complicated other than fetch the feed from
magpie, add some formatting and print the output to your browser.  Any
failures would be lower down inside of Magpie, which is the module
responsible for fetching the feed content and handling of the caching.
Having a PHP version of a similar tool would merely shift the CPU cycles
server side and would probably cause more problems.   (And I am NOT saying
NOT to  have a PHP tool for doing it, just that it has considerations)

There was an update many moons ago to fix a bug in Magpie for feeds that
time out, and also a cache handling problem.  The delays are more often or
not caused by the remote feed site.  (There was one bug that basically
ignored the cached copy of the feed and therefore performed a fetch each
request for a feed).
 
The version of Feed2JS I have installed on my test/personal server handles
over 2,000 hits a day and I've had no reports of any problems from those
using it.
 
Stuart is correct in what he is saying, but I wasn't 'clear' about what I
meant by modifying Feed2JS.
I meant just that.  (In fact you probably wouldn't call it Feed2JS
afterwards).
I would take what they have, but instead of writing out to the screen, I
would have it write out to a file....or create my static pages for me.
I would then have another process that calls them at regular intervals to
create the static pages.

What Stuart has also added, is that you could have a PHP snippet that does
the same thing.  Assuming that search engines will get back the output of
the PHP script (which could put you in the same boat as using JS).  This is
why I suggested having a tool, that creates static pages periodically, (in
effect causing the user to see them as dynamic).  That way, all of your
content is bound to be crawled regardless of whether they follow JS/PHP or
not.  (PHP 'should' be ok).
 
So I wouldn't have a script that calls Feed2JS, which calls Magpie, I would
have a process that calls a script that calls Magpie RSS (It just so happens
that this script would be a modified Feed2JS, as it already does all the CSS
formatting and stuff that I want).  Hope that explains it better.

Its just a brain dump at the moment, I don't know exactly what would be
involved, but I can't see it being too difficult.

Regards

Chris


  _____  

From: [email protected] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
manoj
Sent: 21 March 2006 12:18
To: [email protected]
Subject: [syndic8] Re: RSS Reader For Website?


I couldn't agree more with Stuart. I used Feed2JS for a long time (now don't
use it 
anymore) and one thing which I found was it was doing a double job of
running Magpie on 
Feed2JS server and apparently collecting the feed and then delivering it on
my site and this 
made the loading of the page invariably slow. And at times if script failed
to fetch the feed 
the end page was completely blank. 

So not saving yourself time upfront in implementing Magpie RSS could pay a
lot in the end. 

--
Manoj Khanna
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Discover the Open Source World @ http://www.rapidblog.com  

--- In [email protected], "Stuart Whitmore" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> Rather than using a tool (Feed2JS) that uses another tool (Magpie RSS)
> to get to the data, I think it would be simpler to just use Magpie
> directly.  Assuming we're not trying to work with static HTML files
> (e.g., using PHP instead), if the pages directly handle the retrieval,
> caching, and display of the feed data it will ensure that the data
> appears static to search engines while at the same time being dynamic
> and refreshed at the cache-specific interval.  This avoids the cron
> job, etc.
> 
> --
> Stuart Whitmore
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> http://www.just-stuart.com/
>









If you're getting "too much mail" then send a message to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
(this will tell it to stop sending you mail)

To change your membership use THIS WEB PAGE: 
http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/syndic8/join
(here you can set your mail to digest, no mail or LEAVE the list)

To find more info about Syndicated XML newsfeeds visit
http://www.syndic8.com/ 




SPONSORED LINKS 
Business
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Business+finance+course&w1=Business+fin
ance+course&w2=Business+to+business+finance&w3=Small+business+finance&w4=Bus
iness+finance+consultant&w5=Business+finance+magazine&w6=Business+finance+sc
hools&c=6&s=185&.sig=I8jDsORmsaYn0BeqghcJ2w> finance course     Business
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Business+to+business+finance&w1=Busines
s+finance+course&w2=Business+to+business+finance&w3=Small+business+finance&w
4=Business+finance+consultant&w5=Business+finance+magazine&w6=Business+finan
ce+schools&c=6&s=185&.sig=fCzze7cxm1K7TVKkzAaOrA> to business finance
Small
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Small+business+finance&w1=Business+fina
nce+course&w2=Business+to+business+finance&w3=Small+business+finance&w4=Busi
ness+finance+consultant&w5=Business+finance+magazine&w6=Business+finance+sch
ools&c=6&s=185&.sig=v9sWAno7Kz4WuL8Tadcdhw> business finance    
Business
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Business+finance+consultant&w1=Business
+finance+course&w2=Business+to+business+finance&w3=Small+business+finance&w4
=Business+finance+consultant&w5=Business+finance+magazine&w6=Business+financ
e+schools&c=6&s=185&.sig=d1xwT3WL0E6XBf6cAV5BXA> finance consultant
Business
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Business+finance+magazine&w1=Business+f
inance+course&w2=Business+to+business+finance&w3=Small+business+finance&w4=B
usiness+finance+consultant&w5=Business+finance+magazine&w6=Business+finance+
schools&c=6&s=185&.sig=qphRINaNuVm_6bwoQxgUmg> finance magazine
Business
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Business+finance+schools&w1=Business+fi
nance+course&w2=Business+to+business+finance&w3=Small+business+finance&w4=Bu
siness+finance+consultant&w5=Business+finance+magazine&w6=Business+finance+s
chools&c=6&s=185&.sig=1RfnhYZpV99RKWRZzSH4gA> finance schools   

  _____  

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS 


        
*        Visit your group "syndic8 <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/syndic8> "
on the web.
  

*        To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 
  

*        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service
<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> . 


  _____  




[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]



If you're getting "too much mail" then send a message to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
(this will tell it to stop sending you mail)

To change your membership use THIS WEB PAGE: 
http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/syndic8/join
(here you can set your mail to digest, no mail or LEAVE the list)

To find more info about Syndicated XML newsfeeds visit http://www.syndic8.com/ 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/syndic8/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 


Reply via email to