Hi,
   I have been working on the draft-ietf-syslog-device-mib-01.txt.
And I have a draft design ready. The document will be posted to
internet-draft archives shortly. Meanwhile it is avaliable from
http://www.cysol.co.jp/contrib/materials/draft-ietf-syslog-device-mib-02.txt

   The document has grown in size  to 43 pages and will probably be
making tedious reading. The major part of it is the MIB definitions.
But before we go into the definitions and/or editorial nits, I would
look for consensus on the MIB design goals and the structure itself.
   In the design I have kept the BSD Syslog as the target [ The MIB
should map onto the syslog.conf and variuos syslogd run time parameters
and, viceversa] Whereever possible I have tried to introduce more
flexibility. [Transports other than UDP can be be used ]

   To quote from the draft [Section 3 The MIB Design]

   The purpose of the SyslogMIB is to allow the monitoring and control of
   the syslog process(es) on a system. This requires MOs representing

      o  Statistics on messages, received, processed locally, relayed,
      o  Syslog system wide parameters that are available to all syslog
         processes.
      o  Syslog run time parameters for each syslog process e.g.
               - maximum message size,
               - sockets and/or type of transport, port numbers on which
                 the process will listen for messages, etc.
               - etc.
      o  Rules for selecting messages and applying the corresponding
         specified actions for each syslog process

   The MIB comprises of four groups
      o  The syslogSystem group handles the system wide parameters
      that applies to all the syslog processes served by the
      SNMP agent.
   o  The syslog process group consisting of the
      - syslogStatsTable which deals with statistical information about
        the syslog processes.
      - syslogParamsTable for monitoring and controlling syslog
        processes. It contains MOs representing the run-time parameters
        of the syslog processes.
   o  The syslog control group which handles the definition of the rules
      for message selection and action(s) that will be carried out on
      the selected message. The tables in this group represent the rules
      that would generally be present in the syslog.conf file of
      traditional syslogd process.
      The control group consists of
       - a syslogCtlSelectionTable which defines the message selection
         rule.
       - several action tables viz.
          + syslogCtlLogActionTable defining the logging actions
          + syslogCtlUserActionTable defining the users on whose console
            the message will need to be displayed.
          + syslogCtlForwardActionTable defining destinations to which
            a message will be forwarded
   o  The conformance group that defines the compliance statements.

I would like to have comments and opinions on the above.

Thanks

Glenn