Hi,

I think the answer to your question is "by defining a standard so vendors are
encouraged to use a common approach rather than everybody using their own
vendor-specific proprietary approach."

If we were not trying to define an industry standard, I wouldn't see the point of
doing this work in the IETF.

dbh
---
David Harrington