Chris and all,

I am right now out of office and on a dial-up. Thus, I did not have your
posting with me before I wrote my last post.

I thank you for the explanation which greatly clarifies the overall
picture. I just still wonder if it would make sense to specify a general
syslog format, that then can be mapped to the upper and lower layers.
Maybe I can try to craft syslog-international in that way - using both
the previous great work in this WG as well as the other
internationalization work.

Does this make sense? Should I carry on in this way? Any more comments?

Rainer