Hi,

Rather than reinventing wheels, let's try to review work that has
already been done in the IETF for these purposes, and discuss any
experience that has already been had with these approaches. Please look
at the RFC3165 Script MIB
(ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3165.txt) and the NETCONF work
(http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/netconf-charter.html).

The Script MIB is all about uploading/downloading scripts to execute on
a managed device. It is language-independent, but recognizes the
likelihood of Java, Perl, and CLI scripts.
This MIB has an (optional) on-line editing capability, which experience
has shown few operators want to use; they would rather get the script,
modify it offline, and send it back to the device.

The NETCONF work is trying to make it possible to download/upload script
files for configuring devices, as a way to standardize CLI scripting.

dbh