Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 21:25:34 -0500
From: Russ Housley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: WG Session Summary

Security Area WG Chairs,

In the past, WG chairs have been asked to produce a 2-3 paragraph summary
of what happened during their WG sessions. The ADs used these to review
status, especially if we were unable to attend the whole session. Some WG
chairs have suggested that it would be good to have a summary to remind
those that ended up with action items from the WG meeting.

For the Seoul IETF, the idea is to make the summary a bit more useful to
both the ADs and the community as a whole. The intent is to be able to
quickly summarize what decisions the WG made (with more detail to follow in
the minutes), remind those with action items that they have action items
(instead of waiting with such reminders until just before the next IETF
meeting), and help keep the charter milestones more visible to the WG.

What we would like to see is a fairly short (no more than a page of text)
summary that focuses on important decisions made during the meeting, and
what is expected to happen in the 3-4 months before the next meeting. The
summary would be sent to the WG list as well as the ADs.

I would like to have the summary before the SAAG session.

Russ

----my response----

Discussion and Decisions

- The WG decided that the fundamental format for syslog messages needed to
be addressed in a separate document rather than being lumped into the
syslog-sign ID
  http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-syslog-sign-13.txt
>From this, Rainer Gerhards has been working on that document with much
enthusiasm and progress.
  http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-syslog-protocol-03.txt
The consensus in the room agreed with the consensus on the mailing list so
this will be our official direction.

- The WG also asked that the transport mapping of syslog be addressed in a
separate document.  This document will REQUIRE a mapping of syslog (as
currently defined in Rainer's ID) to UDP and will leave the door open for
other efforts to try their own mappings.  Anton Okmianski has written a
draft of this document but did not get it submitted before the cutoff
date:
http://www.employees.org/~lonvick/transport/draft-ietf-syslog-transport-udp-00.html
The tricky part of this will be that syslog-protocol and
syslog-transport-udp reference each other and will need to be submitted
together.  I don't really believe that this is going to be a problem.  A
revision of this document will probably include a reference to DTLS when
that is available.  The consensus in the room agreed with the consensus on
the mailing list so this will be our official direction.

- When these documents are finished, it will be an easy edit to get the
syslog-sign ID to conform with the syslog-protocol document.  It may then
be sent around to Last Call as the mechanisms defined in the ID have the
general consensus of the WG.

- Glenn Mansfield polled the WG and found that the consensus was to remove
the "configuration tables" from the syslog-device-mib ID
  http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-syslog-device-mib-05.txt
I believe that this was what Bert Wijnen was suggesting at our last
meeting, and I also believe that this has consensus in the WG at this
time.  The room was polled with no objection to this.

Actions Items

- Rainer will continue to progress syslog-protocol.
- Anton will continue to progress syslog-transport-udp.

- Jon will wait until after those documents are submitted to the IESG and
will then revise syslog-sign to reflect the direction taken in syslog-sign
and syslog-transport-udp.

- Glenn will continue to progress syslog-device-mib.

Longer Term

- The WG asked to include a document on "internationalizing" syslog
messages.  Rainer started that but found that it brought up issues that
needed to be addressed in the base syslog protocol.  The WG concurred so
it is on the back burner until the syslog-protocol becomes stable.
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-syslog-international-00.txt

- Once we get the syslog-protocol document to a finished state, I can ask
Marshall Rose and Darren New to look at revising RFC 3195.  The only
wildcard in that is that it is being considered as a transport for the
Netconf work.  I invited the chairs of that WG to speak at the upcoming
syslog WG meeting if they had anything they'd like to share, but they
declined.

---end

Thanks,
Chris