> Just to add the figures that support my assertion, in an e-mail from Wes
> Hardaker, who surveyed the network operators, to isms
>
> "Of the various authentication systems in use at that time by the people that
> responded:
>
>   66%  local accounts
>   49%  SSH-keys
>   40%  Radius
>   29%  TACACS+
>   14%  X.509 Certificates
>   10%  Kerberos
>
>   [numbers don't add to 100 because more than one option could be selected]"
>
> which I have paraphrased as
> SSH a significant number
> TLS so small as to be invisible

I disagree.  I don't think the numbers above provide that kind of
conclusion at all.  We don't know what the survey was, etc.  Just
like any set of statistics, they can be interpreted to mean many
things, depending on how you want to read them.

Anyway, I'm not interested in that.

But, to put the problem differently, in how many different places can
you use TLS/SSL for authentication today, to sign in ?

If there's nowhere for people to use TLS then of course the numbers
won't be high.

Darrn