John,

the issue is the simplex nature of syslog. With syslog (other than with
almost all other protocols), you send a message and need to *hope* that
the recipient can receive it. There is also no negotiation phase. So you
need to send it blindly. For example, if you send an IHE 2K message, but
the receiver does just support 1K, you will loose 1K without knowing it.
As such, it is vital to know at least a "safe size" that you can use and
know that it can be processed (if it makes it to the recipient). We
selected 480 octets because that fits into an unfragmented UDP packet in
any case. I know that's too few for IHE, but for network management - an
important use case for syslog - this is very often sufficient. This is
the reason why a simplex protocol like syslog (send it and forget it ;))
should provide some guidance about lower limits. Keep in mind that there
is NO upper limit - this is done in the transport mappings and the
implementations. So if you need 32K for IHE, that is perfectly well
(-transport-UDP, I think, suppport 64K - but you know the practical
limits).

Does this clarify?

Rainer