Tom,
Tom Petch wrote:
> Although these comments are a response to Glenn, I would appreciate others on
> the list reading and commenting on pp3-4 of the syslog-mib which describes
> syslog (nothing MIBby, honest) in terms I am struggling with, if only to say
> 'yes, that is exactly how I see syslog being used'.
>
> Recall that IESG tends to require a MIB to allow protocols to advance so
> unless
> we agree on a MIB, we may not have a syslog-protocol:-(
>
> Glenn
>
> Ok so far but ...:-)
> you talk of 'receiving and forwarding syslog messages', that is of relay and
> collector in syslog-protocol terms; what about sender?  Do you envisage any
> use
> of this MIB for an entity that is only involved in sending packets conforming
> syslog-protocol?
Hmm. I do not envisage the MIB being used for a pure sender. The Syslog daemon
is
the target.

> And when the document talks of receiving messages, are these messages ones
> that
> conform to syslog-protocol or does it include messages in a proprietary format
> that may or may not be emitted as syslog-protocol messages?
In the text "message" denotes "Syslog Message". I will add a sentence clarifying
that.

> And when this document talks of this being used to manage a group of syslog
> devices, what makes this a group?  Are they all running under the same
> instance
> of an operating system (allowing sysplex as a single operating system)?  If
> not,
> what makes it a group?
It means that there may be more than one Syslog daemons running on different
ports
/network addresses. The grouping is a feature not a necessaity. I think that it
is
providing flexibility that will be needed. Am I missing something here ?

> Tom Petch

Glenn