Hi Folks,

Please continue to send in your opinion on this. I'll determine consensus next Thursday and outline our steps to go forward.

Thanks,
Chris

On Wed, 5 Jul 2006, Chris Lonvick wrote:

Hi Folks,

Everyone has now had a week to think about the IETF process on IPR claims. The first decision that we need to make is about the terms of the claim.
I'd like to hear what people think about the terms that Huawei has presented.
  https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/ipr_detail_show.cgi?&ipr_id=724

Please keep in mind that we can (and should) proceed with syslog-transport-tls if the terms appear reasonable and you (as implementors) are willing to accept them. Let's keep this discussion focused.
- We do not need a discussion of the terms.
- We do not need any legal opinions.
- We do not need a discussion of technical alternatives on this thread.

From that, I'd like to hear either:

A) The WG SHOULD proceed with draft-ietf-syslog-transport-tls as a Working Group document.

or

B) The WG SHOULD NOT proceed with draft-ietf-syslog-transport-tls as a Working Group document.

I'll leave this open until the 19th (so people going to the IETF can catch their collective breaths and give a good opinion.

If the consensus appears to be "A" then we can get straight back to work.

If the consensus appears to be "B" then I will very briefly ask if there are changes to the terms that would make them acceptable. I'll only ask that if the consensus appears to be "B" so don't insert your opinions on that at this time. I'm (just barely) willing to ask that (once) of the Huawei lawyers but I feel that negotiating terms is not going to move us forward; it's likely to be a rat-hole discussion and I won't let us go down there.

If the consensus remains "B" then we will likely move away from syslog-transport-tls. Where we move to will be a different discussion so please don't insert your opinion about that on this discussion thread. David has opened that discussion on a separate thread so you may discuss it on the list, but I'm not focused on that at this time.

Thanks,
Chris