Hi all,

now that we obsolete RFC 3164 by -syslog-protocol, the only remaining
RFC that is not compatible to the "new syslog series" is RFC 3195. The
questions is now how to proceed here? I am raising this issue because it
has some effect on syslog-sign. I would love to see 2k as limit for
sign-generated messages, but that means we need to talk about 3195
(which not explicitely supports messages over 1k).

IMHO, we should do a 3195bis that updates 3195 to work as a transport
mapping with syslog-protocol. After we've done that, we have finally
unified all syslog RFCs and do not have any more issues with
incompatibilities between them. I think this is something we should do
soon.

Comments?

Rainer
PS: I, too, would like to express my seasons greetings to all folks on
the list! May you have a great and peaceful xmas time and a good start
into the new year.