Much of the reason 3195 is specified is because there is no good
alternative. Healthcare has been asking for a stable standard that gets
implemented for 4 years now. It is getting hard to justify this
allegiance to the syslog community. There are many in the healthcare
community that want to define their own transport for security audit
events using Web-Services. Please stop the over-analysis, get the
standards you have in the queue out, and please get them implemented.

John Moehrke
GE Healthcare
And major contributor to IHE-ATNA, DICOM-Supplement-95, RFC-3881, and BS
ISO 27789.
http://wiki.ihe.net/index.php?title=ATNA_Profile_FAQ