'Twas brillig, and Tom Gundersen at 08/08/13 18:08 did gyre and gimble:

> On 8 Aug 2013 17:57, "Thomas Bächler" <tho...@archlinux.org
> <mailto:tho...@archlinux.org>> wrote:
>>
>> Am 08.08.2013 15:19, schrieb Michal Sekletar:
>> > Calling enable on template units doesn't make sense since it is possible
>> > to enable instances directly and users are not forced to use Alias=
>> > trickery anymore.
>>
>> Actually, it would make sense to do this instead:
>>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/systemd-devel@lists.freedesktop.org/msg09244.html
>
> Yes, we should do this too. But we still need to solve the case when
> DefaultInstance is not specified.

I actually ran into a problem the other day related to this.

I forgot to update my .spec after updating systemd to 206 and because of
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/systemd/systemd/commit/?id=7aa4fa34f76b0d9b031f0a5ea941c7fa10cebbee
it caused an interesting problem.

Doing "systemctl enable getty@.service simply created a getty@.service
symlink. When this was run at boot, it resulted in systemd trying to
start getty@getty.target, i.e. the instance name was filled in with the
unit name.

Ultimately this lead to agetty failing (as /dev/getty didn't exist) and
as it has Restart=always in the unit, it kept going and going and going...

Not the nicest experience.

Surely if you try and start a template unit without any instance it
should simply fail rather than default to the unit name?

Col

--

Colin Guthrie
gmane(at)colin.guthr.ie