On Fri, May 16, 2014 at 4:14 PM, Lennart Poettering
<lenn...@poettering.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 16.05.14 13:15, Harald Hoyer (harald.ho...@gmail.com) wrote:
>

>> On 16.05.2014 13:00, Kay Sievers wrote:
>> > I do not think we should do such hacks in upstream systemd.
>> >
>> > It is a commonly available feature since quite some years, and
>> > building without chroot on old systems is a bit too exotic to justify
>> > carrying this rather large work around upstream.
>> >
>> > We do not accept distro-specific, not commonly needed things in the
>> > upstream code base because we do not want to maintain them, the same
>> > seems to apply to this.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Kay
>>
>> Then we should probably check, if "ln" supports "--relative" and does it
>> right
>> in configure.
>
> Yeah, thinking about this I agree with Kay and Harald.
>
> If it is desirable to cross-build systemd on such an old distribution
> I'd recommend sticking an alternative "ln" implementation into $PATH and
> making sure it is preferred when building systemd. This could just be
> the shell script that was posted and it could handle --relative
> invocations, and for everything else defer immediately to the real ln...

I was under the impression that you are willing to take a patch but I
also see Kay's point. We will try to solve it on our side. Thanks for
all the comments, especially to Harald for sharing his script.

One note though, the problem happens in "Debian stable" and I think it
is quite early to mark it as "such an old distribution".

Umut