Am 09.06.2014 21:07, schrieb Leonid Isaev:
> On Mon, Jun 09, 2014 at 08:08:43PM +0200, Reindl Harald wrote:
>> all the decades before crond did run fine, logs exactly what
>> you need to know if /var/log/secure and /var/log/crond
>> without writing *hundret thousands* loglines all day long
>> on machines with a lot of cronjobs
>
> If you don't need them -- OK, but don't speak for the others. Why systemd
> should be treated any differently than other programs?

because Lennart to ospeaks for others the way he closed
that bugreport? why can't there be at least a config
option to disable creating them at all?

because other programs *never ever* procude *that lot* of
loglines all day long - look at the simple calculation
in the bugreport

on our production infrastrcuture these messages would be
*a lot* more than all other logs summarized

*and* they are spitted to /var/log/messages to make things worst

> But why can't you write a syslog filter which uses facility as well as program
> name? So if you believe that systemd-generated messages are useless, drop them

because you *can not* distinguish between *that* user messages
and system message sbecause they have systemd as program name
common, the PID changes and you don't want to drop *system
messages* from systemd

if they would contain a unique string / prefix to distinguish
from cronjobs triggered messages i would have written a rsyslog
filter as for a lot of other noise long ago

however - the *large amount* of that messages even if you
drop them consumes useless ressources on virtualization
clusters and blow up the systemd-journal