>From Lennart Poettering, Thu 23 Oct 2014 at 11:49:27 (+0200) :
> On Thu, 23.10.14 08:09, Damien Robert (damien.olivier.robert+gm...@gmail.com)
> wrote:
> > But isn't using default.target more flexible than basic.target? When
> > basic.target is activated I expect at least socket.target, timers.target
> > and path.target to get activated too; whereas I could imagine an user
> > wanting a completly empty user session [*], which could be done with an
> > empty
> > default.target [#].

> basic.target includes sockets.target, busnames.target, timers.target
> and paths.target as well as sysinit.target.

No, that's the system wide basic.target. The user basic.target only has
sockets, timers and paths.

But I was arguing that basic.target has a well defined meaning (basic
system wide/user wide system initialisation), and we may want to allow
default.target (in a user session) to be different from basic.target, even
if they should be the same for most user cases.

> Yes, all user code really should go through PAM, so that security
> labels and resource limits can be set up properly.

Yeah but do they need to go through pam_systemd.so also?

> Regarding graphical stuff: the way I figured this should work is that
> all desktop environments would define their own gnome.target,
> kde.target, xfce.target and then some graphical.target symlink would
> point to the preferred version. These targets would then bring up
> averything that's necessary for the specific session type.

Ok, that looks nice.