On Tue, 20 Sep 2016, Bjørn Forsman wrote:
Hi systemd developers,

My name is Bjørn Forsman and this is my first post to this list. I
have a question/issue with the behaviour of (auto)mount units.

When a mount unit fails (repeatedly), it takes the corresponding
automount unit down with it. To me this breaks a very nice property
I'd like to have:

 A mountpoint should EITHER return the mounted filesystem OR return an error.

As it is now, when the automount unit has failed, programs accessing
the mountpoint will not receive any errors and instead silently access
the local filesystem. That's bad!

Hi Bjørn,

For what it's worth, I'm not able to reproduce this on Fedora 24, systemd 229.

I set up test automount and mount units, gave the mount unit bogus options, and started the automount unit. When accessing the mount point I got ENODEV errors until systemd reached the burst limit on the mount unit, at which point access to the mount point simply blocked completely. At no time did the automount unit ever fail or stop though.

Now I did this with just a tmpfs filesystem, but I can't imagine the behaviour would be different with sshfs.

So perhaps some regression between systemd 229 and 231?

- Michael