On Fri, Jun 4, 2021 at 7:49 AM Ulrich Windl <
ulrich.wi...@rz.uni-regensburg.de> wrote:

> Nachricht <YLeYEY1Em19/d...@kroah.com>:

> https?
> >>
> >> sorry, but we have 2021
> >>
> >> * non‑https is a warning in most browsers
> >> * certifictes are free and automated these days
> >> * https is not only about encryption
> >>
> >> the point of https is
> >>
> >> a) you are connected to the host you think
> >> b) no manipulation on the wire
> >>
> >> the encryption is not really the point
> >
> > Then don't connect to the site if you don't want the data there.  Trying
> > to tell others what to do with their spare time in maintaining a
> > resource for all operating systems to use is a bit, well, you know...
>
> I think any website that has a form to fill in should offer https.
> In the past there were websites asking for user and password without
> offering
> https.
> I also think even a self-signed certificate is better tan no certificate at
> all, but in the times of let'S encrypt setting up https shouldn't be a big
> issue.
>
> All my opinion...
>
> Regards,
> Ulrich

If I am not misinterpreting, Mr. Biden's recent cyber security execute
order [1] will put a weight on how data is transferred, at least in the US,
at least for the agencies which will probably ripple itself to the ordinary
user eventually.

[1]
https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/presidential-actions/2021/05/12/executive-order-on-improving-the-nations-cybersecurity/
Multiple mentions of "*encryption for data at rest and in transit*".

Umut