Heya!

Some of the systemd developers have been discussing switching
systemd's crypto libraries to be exclusively OpenSSL 3.0, and drop
support for older OpenSSL versions, as well as any GNUTLS/libgcrypt
support. As you might have noticed OpenSSL 3.0 has been released
recently, and for the first time resolves the GPL2 license
incompatibility mess comprehensively, which opens this door to us.

I personally care a lot about reducing the combinatorial explosion of
deps a bit, and keeping our tree as maintainable as we can, with a
single implementation of everything, not multiple, and no abstraction
layers and such, and thus removing any compat kludges for other
libraries or other library versions.

Now, before we make a decision on this, I'd like to collect feedback
on such a move. I know that there are some people who backpart new
systemd onto old distros. How big would the pain be require porting
OpenSSL 3, too, at the same time?

(What's not up for discussion: for new additions to systemd we'll do
only OpenSSL, and won't accept anything else. My question is really
just about the stuff we aleady have, where we currently support
GNUTLS/libcgrypt.).

Anyway, I'd be interested in your thoughts about this. i.e. hear
multiple takes, opinions, from differently people and positions?

Thanks,