On Wed, Apr 6, 2022 at 10:41 PM Wols Lists <antli...@youngman.org.uk> wrote:

> On 06/04/2022 10:34, Luca Boccassi wrote:
> >> Symlinking /sbin or /usr/sbin binaries to /usr is also a bad concept
> >> IMHO.
> >>
> >> It seems systemd is the new Microsoft ("We know what is good for you;
> >> just accept it!");-)
>
> Well, I saw a link to WHY we have /bin, /usr/bin, /sbin etc. Interesting
> read ...
>
> / was disk0. /usr was apparently originally short for /user, on disk1.
> Then the system disk ran out of space, so they created /usr/bin to have
> more space. So when they got a 3rd disk, they called it /home and moved
> all the user directories across ...

Hmm, from what I managed to gather in various old docs, that "3rd disk" was
still /usr2 originally... until SunOS 4.0
<http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/sun/sunos/4.0.3/800-3812-10A_Installing_the_SunOS_4.0.3_198904.pdf#page=39>,
which decided to implement a read-only /usr and did some major /usr
reorganization – kicked out home directories to /home, logs to /var/adm,
crontabs to /var/spool, and so on. And it apparently had "/bin => usr/bin"
and "/lib => /usr/lib" symlinks as part of that reorganization, in 1989.
(Though it still had a separate /sbin with barely anything except 'init'
and 'mount' inside.)

--
Mantas Mikulėnas