Nachricht <ae406587-8e46-0405-d14e-cb7f7b7df...@youngman.org.uk>:
> On 06/04/2022 10:34, Luca Boccassi wrote:
>>> Symlinking /sbin or /usr/sbin binaries to /usr is also a bad concept
>>> IMHO.
>>>
>>> It seems systemd is the new Microsoft ("We know what is good for you;
>>> just accept it!");-)
>
> Well, I saw a link to WHY we have /bin, /usr/bin, /sbin etc. Interesting
> read ...
>
> / was disk0. /usr was apparently originally short for /user, on disk1.
> Then the system disk ran out of space, so they created /usr/bin to have
> more space. So when they got a 3rd disk, they called it /home and moved
> all the user directories across ...

However space is not the only reason: Back in the times of non-journaling
filesystems (and slow disks where a fsck could take 40 minutes or more) it was
highly desirable to have a small root filesystem that could be checked quickly,
to root had the chance to become active.
Even today when something bad happens, one would probably prefer to have
multiple smaller filesystems to repair rather than one "huge pot". MHO.
Agreed Windows users who only know C: never wasted much thoughts on structure;
see the mess in C:\Windows. But I thought UNIX was highly structured...

Regards,
Ulrich