Interesting comments by Ed Grant.  I'll add a couple of additional points:

1.While the "golden age" of track & field (presumably you mean sometime
between 1950 and 1975) may have been great for fans (and I have no idea
since it wasn't around), it was terrible for the athletes.  Both then and
now, only the very few top athletes made any money (even when they were
"amateurs"), and at least now they are - for the most part - free of the
controlling old boys network that was the AAU.

2.The answer, it would seem, is to separate the amateurs from the pros.  All
the really professional sports (and you left out the one most applicable to
track - golf) have their amateur programs separate from their professional
programs.  I have said before that the PGA and USGA are who we want to be
modelling ourselves after.  We will never have the corporate support that
they have, but that doesn't mean there isn't much to be learned from their
model.  A pro track league with rules and responsibilities for members is
what we should be striving for.  Yes, I know it's been tried and failed.
One of the big reasons was that athletes were giving up all the major
competitions in excahnge for it, and they were making less money in many
cases than the "amateurs".  And the devastating battles between the AAU and
the NCAA along with the nearly decade-long congressional interest of the
time definitely didn't help.
    Maybe a pro track league won't work.  But I tend to think that with some
radical format changes (maybe 8-10 events total) and realistic initial
financial goals, a well thought out plan might develop into something that
would work.  My main point - which largely agrees with what Ed Grant said -
is that we are currently using a model for "pro" track that no other sport
that is remotely professional uses.  We are perhaps somewhat close to
tennis, but they aren't doing as well now, and they at least have a
meaningful "tour".
    Purely for amusement purposes, I'll throw out there that my prospective
pro track league would have only the following events:
100m,400m,Mile,110H,5000m(with "primes" to inject excitement),javelin,pole
vault,long jump, and maybe the shot.  I would change the format of the three
horizontal events to weed out competitors after every round, adding
excitement.  And the pole vault would definitely have to have some format
changes to keep it manageable.  At first, the whole thing would be men only
(another feature of nearly every "pro" sport). Most importantly, teams would
be featured heavily.

- Ed Parrot