It makes a bit more sense in the full context:

"What you are doing is taking advantage, which is different than
cheating," he said. "To me, it's like what you have in the game now
whenever a base runner relays the catcher's signs to the hitter. They call
that cheating now, but when I played and we thought somebody was relaying
signs, the pitcher would call out the catcher and tell him to do a better
job of disguising the damned things."

I think he's saying it's business as usual, so it isn't really cheating.
Just taking advantage of the allowances that have always been there.
Interesting spin, but not altogether unreasonable.

Sadly amusing that baseball and football to a lesser extent have chosen to
go down this road.  I thought T&F was the shining example for all sports
of why not to dig into the drug closet...

"...baseball's steroid controversy -- and what seems to be a growing split
in player ranks -- is setting the tone for a mean-spirited season."

Dan

http://www.globeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/TPStory/LAC/20040302/ROBINSON02/TPSports/TopStories

=====
http://AbleDesign.com - Web Design & Custom Programming